Do you want a certification or be able to deliver results, quickly & easily?
Today’s article is about your motivation.
I did not know it either …
Even when I was studying to become a Certified Black Belt (means full-time practitioner of Lean Six Sigma) I was mainly motivated by the fact that I was about to earn my next degree in business that would help me to get better jobs, earn more salary and recognition.
All sounds very nice, especially looking good on my CV but now I know better…Lean Six Sigma.
Getting my Black Belt degree, it was still a bit like the previous educations: lots of theory, statistics, calculations, sample size, hypothesis test, graphical analyses, control charts, t-sample tests, Design of Experiments, Regression Analyses, Gage R&R study, Value Stream Maps, etc.
Although this education was already more focused on the practical application, still it was overwhelming the amount of information you got “pushed” into your brain. Ouh! It hurts!
After 5 weeks of training I did not know which tools I need, how to start and what conclusion can I make based on my analysis.
But I was lucky…
As I got started with my first Lean Six Sigma project to solve a 20-year-old quality problem, my mentor and coach was the Managing Director of the company.
He has been using Lean Six Sigma problem-solving tools in many of his previous jobs and was able to make dramatic changes in terms of profit, quality and delivery.
One of his latest achievements was to save a company from bankruptcy and turn it into the best performing unit among its peers. You can watch my video and you will be amazed.
Interestingly, he also had a Black Belt education but – as he told me later – he had no further business education. I was “shocked” because, based on his track record, I expected he had a high eduction level.
Anyway, as we were working together on my project, he visited my team meetings, joined the discussions and helped me to interpret my data.
His support was invaluable for me. I’ve learnt more from my mentor than from my Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Coach.
You know why?
- My mentor had a very pragmatic approach
- He was focussing on some very simple yet powerful Lean Six Sigma tools
- He used these tools daily: almost in every meetings, at every problem-solving discussions
- He was excellent in following a top-down approach, applying the 80/20-rule
- He was not lead by the academic level of Lean Six Sigma but by its effectiveness to solve very difficult problems blablabla
- He was focussing on the progress towards the goals of the project instead of on all the other tools and methods blablabla
Working with him in different projects and even rolling-out together complete Lean Six Sigma Programs (training & coaching employees, selecting projects, coaching managing teams) enabled me to collect the most effective problem-solving tools from Lean Six Sigma that you can also apply in your work today.
In my book you get the complete overview with practical examples so you know exactly which tools you need to learn to be effective and efficient in your work.
In my online course for managers and (future) leaders, you get detailed case studies together with a high level overview of the PRACTICAL Lean Six Sigma method not to mention the video tutorial on effective brainstorming. Only this last piece is worth its money. I bet you have not seen this before.
This new Lean Six Sigma makes it that I can solve now almost any business problem. I do not want to be boasting and bragging about myself but this is the fact.
Because I see the tangible results this method can deliver to you too, here is my advice concerning your Lean Six Sigma eduction:
- Focus on the results that you will get from your Lean Six Sigma education and not on the paper
- Chose your education based on its practical, pragmatic approach – quality above quantity
- Use Lean Six Sigma principles in your work daily
- Have a good Lean Six Sigma coach because it all seams very easy and logical but you can make many mistakes under way
In this way you will not only have a certification but you will deliver RESULTS!
Go for it.
PS: Let me know what piece of information are you missing about LSS education.
PPS: I am about to set up a membership site where you can learn all the bits and pieces of Lean Six Sigma to improve your work and your company. Are you interested?